The Columba Centre on Islay, Ionad Chaluim Chille Ìle in Gaelic, is located just outside Bowmore on the road to Bridgend. The Columba Centre used to be an old fever hospital and the centre as it is today was opened in August 2002. The old fever hospital was renovated and the centre now offers teaching rooms, a library, childcare facilities, meeting rooms, broadcasting facilities, computer room and exhibition space. The Columba Centre's primary function is to maintain, and where possible promote, the Gaelic culture and language. No wonder because Islay was once the very centre of the Gaelic political world and the Gaelic language has been spoken on Islay for almost 1500 years. Irish immigrants brought the language to Islay and even today almost 35% of the Ileach speak Gaelic. The Centre also offers Gaelic courses at all levels and Gaelic medium and higher education in partnership with the Gaelic College Sabhal Mòr Ostaig on the Isle of Skye.
The website from The Columba Centre can be found here