sponsored links

19 posts :: Page 1 of 3
By: Bruce (offline)  Monday, 21 April 2008 (Read 19641 times)  

SCOTLAND is set to be hit by crippling fuel shortages within days after plans for a strike at the country's biggest oil refinery led to it being shut down for safety reasons.

Motorists could find petrol and diesel supplies beginning to dry up as early as Friday, the company which owns the giant Grangemouth plant warned last night.

Experts fear fuel shortages are likely to last for a month and the disruption is set to spread well beyond drivers to affect the entire transport and distribution network and even the emergency services.

The full story can be read in Scotland on Sunday!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: mags (offline)  Monday, 21 April 2008  

It would be helpful Bruce if you could keep us updated about the petrol situation i.e. as a resident of Scotland you will probrably have more info than the papers. We are due to travel to Islay on 9th May and the thoughts of Islay (and Jura) have kept me going for weeks!!!1

mags

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 21 April 2008  

Should I bring Jerrycans of petrol instead of cases of Grolsch then? Wink

Thanks for keeping us up to date Bruce Big Grin

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Monday, 21 April 2008  

I'll keep you all as up to date as I can... so far all I can say is that I've heard of people rushing to fill up their tanks, but when I went for petrol this morning (the petrol light was flashing so it was needed!) the petrol station was no busier than I expected!

Bruce

By: mags (offline)  Monday, 21 April 2008  

Thanks Bruce. Your info. will be worth a big dram if ever we meet up!!!!!

mags

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 23 April 2008  

The following is from BBC Scotland News:

Ferry operator Caledonian MacBrayne said it was in the planning stage of how to handle services if the fuel crisis continues.

A spokesman said ferries could be run slower, or services altered and reduced to conserve fuel.

However, he said it would be guaranteed that no island would be left without a service and it would work with the Scottish Government on lifeline services to ensure communities were not left without essential supplies.

Good news for people wanting to get to and from the islands... but before you can get on the ferry you have to get there and, with stories of petrol stations running dry already, that might not be so easy!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Wednesday, 23 April 2008  

Latest Update from BBC:

Refinery crisis talks break down

Negotiations aimed at resolving a dispute which could shut down Scotland's only oil refinery have broken up without agreement.
BBC Scotland understands operators Ineos and the Unite union have failed to agree an halt to an impending strike by workers at the Grangemouth plant.
Up to 1,200 workers are due to walk out on Sunday and Monday over proposals to change pension scheme arrangements.

ron

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 24 April 2008  

I think we can be a bit more optimistic according to this article from BBC Wink

'Scotland can cope' with dispute

First Minister Alex Salmond has insisted "Scotland can cope" with the strike at Scotland's only oil refinery.

A two-day strike by up to 1,200 workers at the site will go ahead on Sunday and Monday after negotiations between union officials and operator Ineos collapsed.

Speaking during question time at Holyrood, Mr Salmond told opposition leaders fuel supplies were ample.

ron

19 posts :: Page 1 of 3