sponsored links

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: bgulien (offline)  Sunday, 02 March 2008 (Read 5570 times)  

Question to the Islay veterans:

I am a wildlife filmer/photographer.
I am staying on Islay from May 31 - June 14, to film as much as I can.
Are there issues on access to spots.
I travel by Land Rover with loads of equipment. So to setup I need to reach spots reasonably close with the LR, or else I have to trudge with camera and tripod to the spot. Are the people on Islay friendly to requests of access?
I read about the Springwatch invasion, mine will be less intrusive.
If you can advise, please let me know.

bgulien

By: Anonymous: agrewe ()  Sunday, 02 March 2008  

Let me put it this way:

Access as such isn't a big problem, you can walk pretty much anywhere you like (as long as you don't get too close to people's houses and don't disturb the farm animals).

But I'd be very careful taking a Land Rover off road. I very much doubt you'd be welcome doing that in a lot of places. While I wasn't there when the Springwatch filming took place I don't think they did much (if any) offroad driving.

You might want to consider Gordon Yates' example: He took lots of fantastic pictures and did lots of great filming without it. When I saw him in October he had a standard road car and apart from road driving walked everywhere he needed to.

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 02 March 2008  

Quote by: bgulien

Are there issues on access to spots.
I travel by Land Rover with loads of equipment. So to setup I need to reach spots reasonably close with the LR, or else I have to trudge with camera and tripod to the spot. Are the people on Islay friendly to requests of access?

Hi Bob, I think Armin made some good points and if I were you I'd try to contact some of the locals who are involved with the wildlife and birding on Islay. People like Jeremy Hastings of Islay Birding, Michael Coplestone of the RSPB and Malcolm Ogilvie of the Islay Natural History Trust can certainly answer some of your questions and/or give you advice for good places to film which are (easy) accessible with your car. I hope this helps Smile

ron

By: bgulien (offline)  Saturday, 19 April 2008  

Thanks all for the advice. I drive a Land Rover as an everyday car, so I will be there with the LR.
I have no plans of going offroad, and disturb the people and the wildlife. I merely wondered about path's and track's.
I have always asked for permission. Usually this is no problem, as I experienced in the highlands and in Ireland. The only ones that refuse access are the big estates. The estate managers will not give permissions, because that is the "easy" option. That is why I asked for the Islay situation.
Are the estates friendly about access permissions?
Recently I obtained a bicycle trailer, modified it to a handcart and now I have a "greener" offroad vehicle to haul my gear around, and I can leave my car at the roadside.

bgulien

By: ron (offline)  Saturday, 19 April 2008  

Hi bgulien, I will send you a pm Wink

ron

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1