sponsored links

12 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Bruce (offline)  Thursday, 06 September 2007  

If you are interested in finding out about the Lords of the Isles, The Lords of the Isles: Clan Donald and the Early Kingdom of the Scots by Ronald Williams might be a good place to start... its readily available in book shops, especially those that sell them off at a fraction of the cover price, or Amazon! Alternatively, wikipedia has fairly reliable info!

You're right when you state that Clan Donald originated Islay; the clan takes its name from Donald of Islay, the son of Ranald who in turn was the son of Somerled. I guess its true that somewhere along the line "descendants" of Donald of Islay started selling burgers! In fact it was Dick and Mac McDonald who started the company; their father immigrated to America from Ireland, while there is also speculation that they are also descended from the Glencoe MacDonalds... and the founder of that clan was the son of Angus Og of Islay while another of his sons was the first Lord of the Isles! Kind of come full circle hasn't it?

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 06 September 2007  

Quote by: gerardhorstman

I also downloaded a film of exgravations (is that spelled right?) must see it again.

Gerard, where did you download the movie from? Would be nice to post a link here if possible. I'm very keen, and probably others too, to have a look at it as well Eek!

By the way, they are called excavations Wink

ron

By: creek (offline)  Tuesday, 03 August 2010  

Here is a few pictures i took up at the Finlaggan. Not the best weather nor the best photographer. But it was a very impressive scenery, and i really hope to be back there one day. It must have been a real impressive site back in the days.

Full size: http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz194/optimus111/Scotland/Finlaggan1.jpg

Full size: http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz194/optimus111/Scotland/Finlaggan2.jpg

creek

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 03 August 2010  

I like the images Clas, thanks for posting them.

The black and white give it a really nice atmosphere Wink

ron

12 posts :: Page 2 of 2