sponsored links

38 posts :: Page 5 of 5
By: ron (offline)  Friday, 07 March 2008  

Quote by: henri

I have a question: what will it cost to ferry 2 people and car from Kennacraig to Islay and return under the new RET formula? It was 103.20BP, from Kennacraig to P. Ellen, in June 2007, about on par with BC Ferries to travel from the Mainland to Vancouver Island, about same distance.

Henri, the current fares for a normal passenger car and two persons return trip from Kennacraig to Islay are £118,80. With RET this would be £58!!

As you can see this makes a difference of more than 50% which is huge. I know this would make a lot of people happy Big Grin

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Friday, 07 March 2008  

Quote by: ron

It is a simple task to make things complex, but a complex task to make them simple. Wink

Did you get that out of a fortune cookie or a Christmas cracker? Eek!

Anyway, I'd also like to hear what people on Islay actually think of all this and whether it worries them that they might (probably will?) lose business because of it!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

Quote by: Bruce

Did you get that out of a fortune cookie or a Christmas cracker? Eek!

I used to collect them, I have loads of them somewhere in a file and they are so funny and right sometimes Wink

Quote by: Bruce

Anyway, I'd also like to hear what people on Islay actually think of all this and whether it worries them that they might (probably will?) lose business because of it!

I will ask around Bruce and let you know Wink

ron

By: henri (offline)  Friday, 07 March 2008  

That is a huge cut in ferry charges for sure. Cry So, the government has chosen to subsidize ferry rates to certain islands and not to others. Confused Has the time for rebellion arrived? Evil Pull out the claymores!!!!!! Dust off the bagpipes!!!! The time for an Islay flag is here!!!!! Twisted Evil

Henri

henri

Quote by: henri

Has the time for rebellion arrived? Evil

If there ever was a right time for rebellion this would probably be it Mr. Green Twisted Evil

Here are some headlines from newspapers and blogs in Scotland:

Shetland Today

BBC Scotland

This is North Scotland

Angus Nicholson's Blog

And there is much more if you have a brief search at Google Wink

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Sunday, 03 October 2010  

Hi Ron ,
Sorry to dig up this old thread but with you posting about the years extension on your site thought i'd get more discussion going !
It's interesting to see that they're extending the original "Trial" and not extending the actual area it covers i.e. other routes .
Of course it would be beneficial to the like of myself , yourself and also Armin who go over for quite a few times a year but it won't and never will stop me going to Islay . I think what will be interesting to see is what effect it has on the voting at next years Scottish Parliament Elections , obviously none in the Western Hebrides (which i think has been a strong SNP stronghold for a few years but i may be wrong....) but what effect will it have on voting in the Argyll and Bute Constituency ?
To be honest it should either be on all ferry routes or none , a level playing field , but as you know politics never works like that !
If there is a change in Scottish Government will it be scrapped after the trial period ? Probably (just look at what's happening with Westminster Govt ) but then again the outers will have benefited for 3 years .
Probably talking out my rear end about something that has nothing to do with me but you know how much i love Islay.........
I hope Councillor Currie can do something but i won't be holding my breath !

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

38 posts :: Page 5 of 5