sponsored links

25 posts :: Page 1 of 4
By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Monday, 10 December 2007 (Read 22799 times)  

Thanks for the heads up about this site Ron .
Nicely set up but i agree with most of the points you've set out , especially why didn't all the agencies get together to have one super site ?
On the whisky front , as you pointed out , why no Bunnahabhain ?
Will be interesting to see how this pans out and whether like other sites in the past will it fade away....
Slainte
Gordon

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 10 December 2007  

Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply. Somehow both marketing groups act as if the other doesn't exist and they won't link to eachother. What I tried to point out in my post was how a potential visitor of Islay would feel about all this. Depending on their search in whatever search engine looking for Islay they end up on a site from which they think offers the best and most complete information. Based on that site they might decide wether to book a trip to Islay or decide to go somewhere else. If the site they landed on is discoverislay, who don't give a full representation of the island, simply because quite a number of businessess and (craft)shops are missing, you as a visitor might decide to go somewhere else. Now that isn't their intention is it? I believe that the Islay and Jura Marketing Group and Discover Islay should work together to give a full and "official representation" of Islay. A site for everything and everyone Big Grin

It is really strange not to see Bunnahabhain on their website, but what to think of the recently five star VisitScotland (yes the ones who paid for disoverislay) Graded Wildlife Experience Islay Birding of Jeremy Hastings?? I wonder why they didn't "sign up" for the new marketing group.... Rolling Eyes

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Monday, 10 December 2007  

Ron, you do raise a lot of interesting comments in your review of the site and I think you are right to point out the shortcomings!

Personally I think there is an opportunity being missed here by the team at DiscoverIslay and at times their vision is proving to be rather short-sighted. The groups and people that they have missed off their site are just as important to the island as those included. As you say, what if someone uses the information from DI and thinks "Islay has nothing to offer, why should I go there?"

So its a nice site? So what? Nice doesn't always sell... they are missing the spirit of the island (and I don't just mean Bunnahabhain!) Here's hoping potential visitors to the island find IslayInfo instead (and of course you have a better logo... I still don't think the DI slogan makes any sense either!)

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 11 December 2007  

I don't want to seem picky here, but I am having another look through this new site and to be honest I don't know what to think of my latest find!

First of all, the mention of the Islay Whisky Shop says it is Situated within walking distance of all Islay's Distilleries...but there is quite a hike from Ardbeg or Bunnahabhain (for example, although maybe that last one is excluded?) to Bowmore (which seems to be the most central of all the distilleries). So I thought to myself "where is this shop?" Discover Islay doesn't say, but do at least provide 2 links to the shop's site itself... which doesn't seem to have an address to the shop either! So forgive me if I am being picky, but if I was at Ardbeg or Bunnahabhain (for example) and I decided that for some strange reason I wanted to actually walk to this shop... what way do I go? Eek!

So on to my next point, which in a way is similar to the one above! I looked through more of the Discover Islay site and have noticed a lack of addresses on this site for almost everything else... so its lucky that most of the accommodation places have their own sites! Is an address or contact details too much to ask? However, that really is a minor point, but...

A look at the beaches lets you know how wonderful they look. Tell me though, where is Ardnave Beach? I know its in north-west Islay and that you Park the car at Ardnave Loch but how do I actually get the car to Ardnave Loch? Directions to get to anywhere along the Big Strand would be useful too! All the other beaches at least get some sort of directions, but maybe a map of the island with these marked would help! The same thing applies to getting to the historical landmarks... all very nice, but where exactly are they all? Or do the people at Discover Islay only want the people who have already discovered Islay and already know where everything is visit the island?

Bruce

By: Anonymous: agrewe ()  Tuesday, 11 December 2007  

Quote by: Bruce

what way do I go? Eek!

Walk out of Kiln Cafe. Turn right. Turn slight right again, then immediately left. Turn left. Follow bendy bits on road. Turn right following road, avoiding water straight ahead. Turn right again at construction site, following the main road. Turn left following the main road. Turn right following the main road. Walk straight ahead. Walk straight ahead. Walk straight ahead. Walk straight ahead some more. Walk straight ahead even more. Follow bendy bits. Turn right following the road. Turn left at church, following the main road. Turn right at bottom of hill, again following the main road. Shop is on your left.

There you are. Simple.

I'll need to think about the best route for the other one.

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 11 December 2007  

First of all, the mention of the Islay Whisky Shop says it is Situated within walking distance of all Islay's Distilleries...but there is quite a hike from Ardbeg or Bunnahabhain

A look at the beaches lets you know how wonderful they look. Tell me though, where is Ardnave Beach? I know its in north-west Islay and that you Park the car at Ardnave Loch but how do I actually get the car to Ardnave Loch? Directions to get to anywhere along the Big Strand would be useful too! All the other beaches at least get some sort of directions, but maybe a map of the island with these marked would help! The same thing applies to getting to the historical landmarks... all very nice, but where exactly are they all? Or do the people at Discover Islay only want the people who have already discovered Islay and already know where everything is visit the island?

You have done some serious surfing Bruce... Once you discovered where the shop is you get a free dram Confused For your information the shop is in the centre of Bowmore and yes it's quite a hike from Ardbeg, but you can read Armin's post for walking directions Arrow

I will make sure to pass the information on as well as for the other comments you made. Catch you later on the SftR forum Wink

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 11 December 2007  

Quote by: agrewe

what way do I go? Eek!

Walk out of Kiln Cafe...

Armin, I wasn't actually looking for directions, but even if I was yours assume that I even know where the Kiln Cafe is so in all honesty I am no further forward! However, my comment was concerning the Discover Islay site and their (apparent) assumption that people visiting their site already know where everything is on Islay! Thanks anyway for your help! Wink

Bruce

By: Anonymous: agrewe ()  Tuesday, 11 December 2007  

I wasn't actually looking for directions

I know.

And my answer wasn't entirely serious.

Although I believe the directions are technically correct, unless I forget a significant turn or junction somewhere on the way.

25 posts :: Page 1 of 4