sponsored links

14 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: jeanmarcd (offline)  Monday, 03 September 2007 (Read 13184 times)  

Hi !

as public transport is not an easy way to reach Islay, I suggest to have a place on the site or the forum for people offering seats (or looking for them) in their car to/from Islay ..(and only Islay to keep it small)

Cheers

Jean-Marc

jeanmarcd

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 03 September 2007  

Quote by: jeanmarcd

Hi !

as public transport is not an easy way to reach Islay, I suggest to have a place on the site or the forum for people offering seats (or looking for them) in their car to/from Islay ..(and only Islay to keep it small)

Cheers

Jean-Marc

Hi Jean-Marc, that's actually a good idea. There are probably many people who have a seat left when they travel to/from islay. Question is though where to and where from? If you have any further suggestions I would be happy to help setting up something Big Grin

ron

By: jeanmarcd (offline)  Tuesday, 04 September 2007  

May be a part of the forum, where people could offer or look for empty seats, but the answers would not be public.
And at the beginning only have trips from islay to a good place to find a train or a palne (Oban,Glasgow..)

jeanmarcd

By: Bruce (offline)  Tuesday, 04 September 2007  

Jean-Marc, I am curious about your comment that public transport is not an easy way to reach Islay especially as later you make a comment about reaching Glasgow or Oban. The fact is that, taking Glasgow as a starting point you have two reasonable options for public transport:

1. The bus to Campbeltown, which stops off at Kennacraig en route;
2. The train to Oban itself.

Glasgow is also one of the easiest places to reach from almost anywhere in Scotland as most of the motorways and main roads as well as many of the railway lines converge on the city! In fact its an easy place to reach from most of England as well!

As Ron says, many people travelling to Islay might have space available, but whoever was looking for the lift would have to meet them somewhere and at a time convenient for them... and that could be trickier than making your way to Glasgow in time to catch the bus or train!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: jeanmarcd (offline)  Wednesday, 05 September 2007  

I was thinking of Oban of Glasgow because many visitors arrive at Prestwick airport or at Oban by train.
The other part is not so easy when you are not used to it.

I often use carpool when I travel abroad, it is a good way for both driver and passengers.

I made trips from Paris to Berlin or Nürnberg or Toulouse, and we could meet without problems after a few mails.

I could not find any good site in English, but here are two good sites in German and French, as examples :

www.123envoiture.fr

www.mitfahrgelegenheit.de

jeanmarcd

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 05 September 2007  

I agree with you that travelling anywhere you don't know isn't easy, but isn't that part of the fun? Unless of course you HAVE to be somewhere by a specific time in which case you plan in advance! However, I'm not so sure, given the number of visitors to Islay on a daily basis, how feasible the idea of car-pooling is. I'm lucky in that next time I go I will more than likely have my own transport AND that I know the route extremely well... but there may come a time when I might consider public transport as an option (in fact that is something myself and Linda discussed recently) and Islay is, as I mentioned above, easily accessible by that method! However, I could be proven wrong and I don't think there is any harm in Ron opening up a section of the forum for people to at least ask!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: linda (offline)  Wednesday, 05 September 2007  

My concern in this would be giving lifts to strangers Rolling Eyes

Linda @ Alba à Taobh an Rathaid

linda

By: TVAS (offline)  Thursday, 06 September 2007  

Quote by: linda

My concern in this would be giving lifts to strangers Rolling Eyes

Maybe you and Bruce can pick me up in the Netherlands. And transport me to Islay. That would be fine Laughing Out Loud

TVAS

14 posts :: Page 1 of 2