sponsored links

10 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: bgulien (offline)  Sunday, 26 April 2009 (Read 24834 times)  

The new single malt Port Askaig is on the market.
Is this a new distillery?
When you drive to Port Askaig you see the hotel, a store and a petrol station.
World famous as the gateway to Islay (one of 2), the diesel fumes and the too expensive quay development.
No distillery. Caol Ila is the nearest and on the same coast, but 4 miles away is Bunnahabhain.
Port Askaig single malt is a new range from TWE's (The Whisky Exchange) Speciality Drinks.
Now the big guessing competition starts. Who is the supplier. It's a single malt, so it's a single distillery.
Guesses range from Caol Ila to Lagavulin.
See: http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2009/04/port-askaig-new-single-islay-malt-range/#more-780

bgulien

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 26 April 2009  

Hi Bob, I read the same message on Gordon Homer's Forum and sent him an email. I can assure you that there is no legal distillery at Port Askaig. Big Grin

I can't tell you which distillery it is simply because I don't know myself and when I do..... check back here Wink

ron

By: bgulien (offline)  Sunday, 26 April 2009  

Ron, my bet, after reading the tasting notes: Caol Ila
Hopefully this week, I get the Cask Strength and the 17 yo and can say more.

bgulien

You are probably right. When I sent Gordon an email I told him that I thought it would be either Lagavulin or Laphroaig and also told him that I was probably wrong Wink

I look forward to hearing from you Eek!

ron

By: Anonymous: agrewe ()  Sunday, 26 April 2009  

German importer says it's a Caol Ila: twitter.com/hansemalt/status/1607601623

Quote by: agrewe

German importer says it's a Caol Ila: twitter.com/hansemalt/status/1607601623

Thanks Armin, that makes three people who think it's Caol Ila Big Grin

Hmmmm now I have to check if I can still edit my previous post Twisted Evil

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Sunday, 26 April 2009  

I'd be very surprised if anyone from Speciality Drinks will own up to what it is , they usually like to keep you guessing about what it is or sometimes they have an agreement with the supplier to not name what it is .
What happens a lot (not in the Uk but usually on the continent) is that a lot of Non-attributed Single Malts are said to be from Lagavulin , mainly because it sells better saying it's Lagavulin than Caol Ila . I wish i'd had a pound for everyone that was said to be Lagavulin........
The thing is if i put a Young Caol Ila , Lagavulin and Laphroaig in front of you , i doubt you'd be able to tell the difference .
Just remember that Caol Ila and probably Laphroaig are more readily available from Brokers and Lagavulin will be virtually non-existent , remember the shortage of Lagavulin a few years ago ?

Slainte
Gordon

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

By: bgulien (offline)  Monday, 27 April 2009  

And....the production of CI is huge compared to Lagavulin.

bgulien

10 posts :: Page 1 of 2