sponsored links

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Ivan (offline)  Monday, 19 May 2008 (Read 6043 times)  

Question
Hi Ron, the last time I was on Islay (4 yrs ago) my mobile was useless. I'm with Orange, do you know what the signal situation is nowadays? We are looking forward to joining you on Islay on Saturday.
Ivan

Ivan

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 19 August 2008  

Hi Ivan, I think there is a slight problem with the forum, or perhaps myself, since I didn't see this post, my apologies Confused

I know it's of no use to you now but perhaps for others: most parts of Islay have a good signal and in the more remote parts the signal is worse or sometimes just not there! It can also vary from day to day, it's a bit like the weather, but usually not too bad! Big Grin

ron

By: Anonymous: agrewe ()  Tuesday, 19 August 2008  

I wouldn't be so confident about a good signal, because it very much depends on the network you're on. I'm with Vodafone which is reasonable in a lot of places on Islay but still has no reception in a number of places (e.g. Kilchoman, Bunnahabhain).

Don't know about Orange, but I have a vague memory of someone telling me of quite bad reception for some network on most of Islay which could very well have been Orange.

Apparently you also on occasion need to be careful in Portnahaven and Port Wemyss: I haven't experienced it myself yet, but I've been told that sometimes you pick up the signal from Ireland. Meaning if you are with a UK provider you'll be roaming (with the associated charges) even though you're still in the UK...

By: ron (offline)  Friday, 22 August 2008  

Quote by: agrewe

I wouldn't be so confident about a good signal, because it very much depends on the network you're on.

I guess we both have different experiences Armin. I usually have signal on most places, except in the more remote places like Loch Gruinart. And to be honest, most times I'm not too bothered with my mobile phone Wink

Quote by: agrewe

on occasion need to be careful in Portnahaven and Port Wemyss: I haven't experienced it myself yet, but I've been told that sometimes you pick up the signal from Ireland. Meaning if you are with a UK provider you'll be roaming (with the associated charges) even though you're still in the UK...

I had this experience several times in May, picked up a signal from Eircom or something similar Big Grin

ron

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1