sponsored links

38 posts :: Page 4 of 5
By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 02 March 2008  

Quote by: henri

Ron..... Smile here is what I said about the Port Askaig cost overuns and commissioning delays. Spending an extra million on a job such as this is a drop in the bucket. Can you imagine a shortage of single malts?!!! Frown

I don't think it's so much the increased budget but more the problems people on Islay experience with the delays they have to live with. Up till today ferries still experience delays if the Jura ferry occupies the new link span which can be rather annoying if that ferry is your only means of leaving and entering the island. They don't have an alternative...

Imagine the street where you live in get's a major overhaul and that same street is the only way out of your village/town. At first you can live with the works since they promised an end date but when that date is constantly postponed you're probably upset and as a result you lose faith in your local government. When you then find out the costs for that project have doubled you use it as an argument to complain. And when something like that happens on other places as well, which is the case with other projects from the Argyll & Bute council, you have all the more reason to be suspicious and raise your voice. Eek!

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Thursday, 06 March 2008  

This RET Pilot issue goes from bad to worse... what can possibly be gained from letting it run for two and a half years? Eek!

Yes people who REALLY want to go to Islay and are happy to go there irrespective of the cost WILL still go, but they will be in the minority! The majority of the tourists will go elsewhere and after 30 months what effect on small Islay businesses will this have? I wouldn't be surprised to see more than a few go out of business (many of which will probably be accommodation providers)! of course it doesn't just affect Islay...

In my opinion the Scottish Governmet will regret doing this in the end... unfortunately there are many more who will regret it long before then (and that will include many Islay lovers when they return to the island and see the closed signs in windows all over the place!)

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 06 March 2008  

Quote by: Bruce

In my opinion the Scottish Governmet will regret doing this in the end... unfortunately there are many more who will regret it long before then (and that will include many Islay lovers when they return to the island and see the closed signs in windows all over the place!)

Let's not hope that this will become reality Bruce. Personally I think Islay has more than enough to offer to attract many visitors but there will certainly be a few that might chose to visit the Western Isles. I still think this is a shambles... do they really expect people in the Outer Hebrides and its tourists NOT to like this pilot? Who are they kidding here? Rolling Eyes

ron

Quote by: ron

Personally I think Islay has more than enough to offer to attract many visitors but there will certainly be a few that might chose to visit the Western Isles.

I agree that Islay does have more than enough to attract many visitors, but will it be enough visitors? The majority of tourists will make their travel plans based on overall cost and for most of them the cost of getting to Islay will help them to decide to go elsewhere... maybe not all to the Western Isles, but a fairly large proportion of them!

If it was a 6 month pilot then maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but 30 months? Don't kid yourself that small businesses (maybe even some of the distilleries) won't be affected by this... I know if I was running a business on an island and partly depended on tourists for my income I'd rather be in the Western Isles than any of the rest!

Bruce

If it was a 6 month pilot then maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but 30 months?

30 months is a long time and yes 6 months would have been more than enough but why no pilot at all? What could they possibly learn from a pilot what we don't already know? They know how many lorries, cars and passengers are using the calmac ferries so it should be easy to calculate how much money will be involved (lost by calmac) when they start with RET. And all they have to do is to decide wether they can afford these plans or not? If they then consider the possible economic growth in these remote areas of Scotland and what that brings them as extra taxes.... That's not really rocket science is it? And in the end it's always simple mathemathics... Rolling Eyes

ron

Ron, you know its simple maths; I know its simple maths; we all know its simple maths; but this pilot does appear to be going ahead... and then its simple maths again, but with some results that won't make very good reading! Frown

Bruce

Ron, you know its simple maths; I know its simple maths; we all know its simple maths; but this pilot does appear to be going ahead... and then its simple maths again, but with some results that won't make very good reading! Frown

It is a simple task to make things complex, but a complex task to make them simple. Wink

ron

By: henri (offline)  Thursday, 06 March 2008  

It would be interesting to hear comments from those who run businesses on Islay. Incidentaly, I spent last night in a B & B in Vancouver. Cost?? C$140 for both of us including breakfast, about on par with the B & B's we stayed in Scotland last June 2007 at 35BP/person/night. Others were priced at C$150 to C$200. So all my squawking was really for naught, it's no better here, but Vancouver is a pricey place to visit. These prices will likely double (and more) as the 2010 Winter Olympics in Whistler/Vancouver approach. No problem, I'll stay home.

I have a question: what will it cost to ferry 2 people and car from Kennacraig to Islay and return under the new RET formula? It was 103.20BP, from Kennacraig to P. Ellen, in June 2007, about on par with BC Ferries to travel from the Mainland to Vancouver Island, about same distance.

Henri

henri

38 posts :: Page 4 of 5