sponsored links

38 posts :: Page 3 of 5
By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 28 February 2008  

Quote by: Bruce

I've just looked at the Globus tours and to be honest Henri they horrified me... they seem to cover a lot of distance in a very short space of time; did you actually get a chance to see anywhere properly?

Bruce, could it be possible that companies like Global tours make price arrangements and take a percentage of a accommodation booking? That could explain the relatively high price Henry had to pay Rolling Eyes

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Thursday, 28 February 2008  

Quote by: ron

Bruce, could it be possible that companies like Global tours make price arrangements and take a percentage of a accommodation booking?

That might be the case Ron, but to be honest I don't know. What got me was the tours themselves... I don't know what one Henri was on, but talke this 8-day tour as an example:

Glasgow, Mallaig-Armadale, Inverewe, Culloden Moor, Highlands, St. Andrews, Scone Palace, Edinburgh, New Lanark

How can you possibly appreciate all those places in that amount of time? The poor people that are on these tours must feel like they're being herded like sheep! Eek!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: henri (offline)  Thursday, 28 February 2008  

Ron...my missing post was in this one. Actually, something was not going quite right yesterday as I had a few posting refusals and was wondering if I had been blackballed.

Bruce...The Globus fee of C$3200 was for two people, don't forget. It was catalogued as a seven day tour but because we were already in Scotland when the tour began, it was only 6 days for us. This was our first bus tour ever and the only complaint we had was that our tour director was from London, yeegads!!!!!, not from Scotland. Accomodation was great and meals were over the top, the mix of people was quite good and easy to get along with. They stopped frequently and our overnight stops were all quite well thought out. In retrospect though, I would not do the bus thing again, we enjoyed our rental car and going to our own places on a whim woyld have been much more fun. Live & learn. But I want to make a correction: our BB in Tarbert was 52 poonds for both of us for one night. It was 35 poonds in Oban where we stayed two nights. Great accomodation, breakfast and host.

Henri

henri

By: henri (offline)  Thursday, 28 February 2008  

Our most expensive BB was on Islay at 45BP/night/person. I won't mention names but they are located right across the airport. Everything was great, except the price but we didn't have much choice in the selection process. There was nothing else available.

Back to the ferry cost issue......I doubt if ferry costs by itself will have an impact on Islay's tourism. You have to consider everything, ferry, meals, accomodation, car rental, etc. Personally, ferry costs would not be an issue for us. Also, Kennacraig to Port Ellen is also just fine, after all, Islay is teeny weeny. Nothing gained by jumping off at Port Askaig except for a connection to Jura if that's where you want to go.

Henri

henri

By: henri (offline)  Friday, 29 February 2008  

Ron..... Smile here is what I said about the Port Askaig cost overuns and commissioning delays. We drove to Port Askaig and were there only a short while in June 07. I noticed how tight the construction site was and thought about the poor old consultant trying to keep to some sort of schedule and the contractor pulling out his hair while finding out all sorts of issues that no one could have possibly imagined. And the contractor is not going to do extra work for free. So I am not surprised about the costs and delays. Eventually, the job will be completed and that's what we have to keep in mind and once the project is finished all the issues we thought as significant will soon disappear. Money is an issue but........there is no going back. This is the way projects of this magnitude go. It's like trying to estimate the costs of landing a party on Mars in 2015. As a former consultant, I have seen a lot of this and all I can say is that we are all human and far from perfect in the way we assess projects. Spending an extra million on a job such as this is a drop in the bucket. The government pays 3 Million poonds for a jet fighter, not including all that's necessary to fly and arm it. This terminal has more significance. It will be good for everyone. And the distilleries will get their fuel to pump out those yummy single malts. Eek! You don't want trouble in that department now, do you? Can you imagine a shortage of single malts?!!! Frown

Henri

henri

By: henri (offline)  Friday, 29 February 2008  

Well, I'm working hard at raising my level of competence from Chatter to......?

After all this, I still miss my tea and scones in Scotland.......damn they were tasty.

I've been dormant on this website for months but I have been checking in often and appreciate all the effort which you guys put into it. This Port Askaig thing got me going.

Henri

henri

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 02 March 2008  

Quote by: henri

Ron...my missing post was in this one. Actually, something was not going quite right yesterday as I had a few posting refusals and was wondering if I had been blackballed.

I'm sorry about that Henry, probably the spam module that went crazy. I will check to see why these things happen Rolling Eyes

ron

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 02 March 2008  

Our most expensive BB was on Islay at 45BP/night/person. I won't mention names but they are located right across the airport. Everything was great, except the price but we didn't have much choice in the selection process. There was nothing else available.

I know who you are referring to Henri. 45BP is a lot of money but that particular guesthouse certainly is one of the finest on Islay. I had the pleasure of visiting them last year and we were impressed and the folks there are very friendly Big Grin

Back to the ferry cost issue......I doubt if ferry costs by itself will have an impact on Islay's tourism. You have to consider everything, ferry, meals, accomodation, car rental, etc. Personally, ferry costs would not be an issue for us. Also, Kennacraig to Port Ellen is also just fine, after all, Islay is teeny weeny. Nothing gained by jumping off at Port Askaig except for a connection to Jura if that's where you want to go.

You are probably right about people who really set their minds to Islay, they will go anyway. Still the whole pilot thing is a strange thing. For me this pilot can only be succesful. Imagine if they ask people what they think of the low fares, you don't really expect them to say they dont like it so success is guaranteed and if you look at it from that point of view they might as well implement it on all routes, providing the government has the money to cover for the losses, something they are doing to a certain extent already.

I also think there will be some people who will decide to make that trip to the western isles because of the cheap fares. Certainly students and others with a small budget could make a different choice. I think in the end only time can tell Wink

ron

38 posts :: Page 3 of 5