sponsored links

38 posts :: Page 2 of 5
By: henri (offline)  Thursday, 28 February 2008  

yAnja, as you can see, I am a Islay "Junior" only, long ways to go yet to the "Enthusiast" level. We didn't have too many choices with our accomodation on Islay, or anywhere else for that matter. Only the costlier B & B were available. It was that or stay home. The reason for that is we did not plan our trip too far ahead. It was spur of the moment. Next time, we will plan a few months ahead instead of a few days and possible get a better deal.

Henri

henri

By: Bruce (offline)  Thursday, 28 February 2008  

Being able to plan ahead does help to cut (at least some) costs, but we don't always have that luxury. So with costs of £40-50pppn for your B&B and the cost of your tour bus it all soon adds up! I am now curious as to what tour company you used as I think that might be partly where you were ripped off... for that price I would expect some of the accommodation to be included! (Having said all that, I'm not sure I converted the price correctly in my original reply!)

yAnja, you are right that people will pay more if they want to go somewhere they are really interested in. However I don't think they will be happy paying considerably more than visitors to other islands. I know I certainly wouldn't be so until this is all sorted I can't see any of the islands other than Skye or the Outer Hebrides being in my plans... tho maybe I'll borrow a boat and row over to Jura! Rolling Eyes

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

The tour bus company was Globus. The exhange rate was then C$2/BP. The cheapest BB was 35BP in Tarbert where we stayed for one night prior to catching the ferry to Port Ellen. The bed in this BB was equal to the room size and it was a small room. Great breakfast though and great breakfast view and also good host. Got to forget about the room, Islay was more on our minds, not accomodation. Smile Big Grin

Henri

henri

In general, no matter how rich people are, they soon get tired of paying too much for what they get, after all, no one gets rich by spending foolishly. And so, tourist visits will taper off and vacationers will go elsewhere and I expect that this will happen on Islay and elsewhere in Scotland. They will have to think about competition if they are going to do well economically. It's just one of those things.

Henri

henri

Hey, I am making progress. I am now classified as an Islay Chatter.

Henri

henri

I can't remember how much we paid for our B&B when we visited Islay (which would have been in July 2005) but it was less than £35pppn! The cheapest B&B I stayed in was something like £16.50pppn in Fort William, but that was before the summer and breakfast was cereal and toast... not that that was a problem as we were told before we paid the night before and there were plenty other places we could have stayed if a full breakfast was what we wanted!

However, back to the topic... I've heard quite a few people complain about the cost of visiting Scotland and realise it is an issue. I'm not so sure the government (or anyone else) is doing much about it, but I strongly believe that if prices were cut where possible then more people might be tempted to visit (or more often if they do anyway) and the money coming in to the country won't be any less! Maybe these reductions in ferry prices is the start of this... time is the factor tho; we need to see how it all works out over a long period!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 28 February 2008  

Quote by: henri

I sent in 3 posts today, two were posted, one (about Port Askaig) was not. Any comments?

Hi Henry, where did you post the Port Askaig one? In this thread?

The tour bus company was Globus. The exhange rate was then C$2/BP. The cheapest BB was 35BP in Tarbert where we stayed for one night prior to catching the ferry to Port Ellen. The bed in this BB was equal to the room size and it was a small room. Great breakfast though and great breakfast view and also good host. Got to forget about the room, Islay was more on our minds, not accomodation. Smile Big Grin

Did you visit the Moorings B&B in Tarbert? Was Andrew your host? It really is a great b&b but we only paid 28 pounds a few months ago. Rolling Eyes

Hey, I am making progress. I am now classified as an Islay Chatter.

Well done Henry, keep up the good work and also thanks for sharing your whereabouts. I still find it strange that you have paid 35 pounds for the b&b which is a lot of money for a "regular" b&b Big Grin

ron

I've just looked at the Globus tours and to be honest Henri they horrified me... they seem to cover a lot of distance in a very short space of time; did you actually get a chance to see anywhere properly?

Bruce

38 posts :: Page 2 of 5