sponsored links

39 posts :: Page 4 of 5
By: ron (offline)  Monday, 30 November 2009  

CMAL announced the name of the new Islay Ferry today....

The ferry will be named Finlaggan Big Grin

ron

By: Dhmellor (offline)  Monday, 30 November 2009  

A fine name, and a stirring reminder of a time when much of the Hebrides and parts of the mainland, and even Ulster, were ruled from Islay. Big Grin

Dhmellor

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 30 November 2009  

Quote by: Dhmellor

A fine name, and a stirring reminder of a time when much of the Hebrides and parts of the mainland, and even Ulster, were ruled from Islay. Big Grin

Aye, it's a good name and the best of the four presented in my opinion. I think most people can be happy with it Big Grin

ron

By: Spirit of Islay (offline)  Monday, 30 November 2009  

I think the only thing i can say is it's the best of the 4 original choices.......
Can't wait to hear the reaction from Islay .

Our visits to the Hebridean Isle of Islay
http://islayvisits.wordpress.com/

Spirit of Islay

By: Dhmellor (offline)  Saturday, 27 February 2010  

Very interesting news this week, that the MV Finlaggan will not be able to dock at Port Ellen. Just as many of us feared, and as the Ileach has predicted for a long time. The implications could be considerable:

1. The beginning of the end for Port Ellen as a Calmac terminal?
2. More cancellations, when it is no longer possible to divert to Port Ellen in bad weather?
3. If the FInlaggan can't dock at Colonsay either, the end of the Wednesday service to Colonsay?

Frown

Dave

Dhmellor

By: ron (offline)  Saturday, 27 February 2010  

Very interesting news this week, that the MV Finlaggan will not be able to dock at Port Ellen. Just as many of us feared, and as the Ileach has predicted for a long time. The implications could be considerable:

1. The beginning of the end for Port Ellen as a Calmac terminal?
2. More cancellations, when it is no longer possible to divert to Port Ellen in bad weather?
3. If the FInlaggan can't dock at Colonsay either, the end of the Wednesday service to Colonsay?

I think you have some good points there Dave and I think you could be right that this will be the end for Port Ellen as a Calmac terminal. Perhaps things would have been different when the economic crisis wouldn't have interfered with government spending. Eek!

I'm not sure about the cancellations though, after all there will be a two ferry service, the existing ferry will continue to service Port Ellen, for now that is. The Ferry Review, draft in spring, could have a major impact on all this so I think nothing is certain yet, not even Kennacraig!! Rolling Eyes

It's interesting that the opinions about the possibility that Calmac leaves Port Ellen differ a lot. I hear people saying that it's better for Port Ellen if they do leave while others claim that Port Ellen needs a ferry terminal. Perhaps Port Ellen could be more attractive as a marina when the ferry wouldn't dock there anymore? I don't know what's best, I guess this is a good one for the local council and the people of Port Ellen/Islay Wink

Ron

ron

By: Dhmellor (offline)  Sunday, 28 February 2010  

Quote by: ron I'm not sure about the cancellations though, after all there will be a two ferry service, the existing ferry will continue to service Port Ellen, for now that is. [/p]

Your last four words are the key ones, Ron: as long as both Islay ports are open, and there are two ferries serving the island, then yes, if the Finlaggan can't dock at Port Askaig then it will just be a matter of waiting for the other ferry to come along and take you to Port Ellen. But if Port Ellen is closed and Port Askaig becomes the only Calmac terminal on the island.......... Cry

Dave

Dhmellor

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 28 February 2010  

Quote by: ron I'm not sure about the cancellations though, after all there will be a two ferry service, the existing ferry will continue to service Port Ellen, for now that is.

Your last four words are the key ones, Ron: as long as both Islay ports are open, and there are two ferries serving the island, then yes, if the Finlaggan can't dock at Port Askaig then it will just be a matter of waiting for the other ferry to come along and take you to Port Ellen. But if Port Ellen is closed and Port Askaig becomes the only Calmac terminal on the island.......... Cry

Dave[/p][/QUOTE]

Very true Dave, if that will be the case things will be completely different. I am also really curious about the outcome of the ferry review, I think this will make all the difference and who knows, Oban is still an option according to the leaked draft! Exciting times ahead Neutral

ron

39 posts :: Page 4 of 5