118 posts :: Page 7 of 15
By: mags (offline)  Thursday, 06 September 2007  

Forgot Telephone number of Corbierre: 01546 602764

mags

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 06 September 2007  

Quote by: mags

Dear Ron
Thank you for your welcome.
The B.B. I mentioned is very good. I have stayed there 6 times this year. It is extremely clean and the breakfasts are excellent. Joan and Ronnie are very welcoming.
There are 2 rooms. One has 3 single beds and the bathroom is across the corridor and is sole occupancy. The other has a double (4 poster!!!!) bed and a singlebed and is en suite.
It`s easy to get to being about a mile from Lochgilphead, off the Oban road, up in the hills on the right.
Hope you have a good trip. If you go into Port charlotte Hotel please give Graham and his staff my best wishes. Also Mary in Bruichladdich distillery!!!!! Wish I was going!!
Mags

Thanks Mags Big Grin

Sounds fine to me :-) I will check them out tonight and see what comes up. Never stayed in Lochgilphead before. Can you recommend a restaurant or pub for a good meal as well?

ron

By: mags (offline)  Thursday, 06 September 2007  

Dear Ron
We always eat at the Horseshoe Inn Kilmichael Glassary (off Oban road) fairly basic but food quite good. The web site is: www.horseshoeinn.biz
Mags

mags

By: jeanmarcd (offline)  Sunday, 09 September 2007  

Hello, my name is Jean-Marc, I'll be 48 in a few days and I live very close to Paris (France) My first trips to Scotland were in 1980 once by car, twice by train (West Highland Line, North Highland line and Line to Kyle of Lochalsh are to be seen). First trip to Islay was in june 1989, in a B&B (ceol na mara) close to Bruichladdich distillery. I remember the owner was a writer about jazz and had his office looking towards Loch Indaal. At that time I had the chance to bring back home 3 whiskies who were going to become collectors : 10 years old Ardbeg; 12 years old official caol Ila and cruchon of 15 years old Lagavulin. They are all empty now. I went back to Islay in March 2000, with a group of malt enthusiasts, visited many distilleries, and i had the chance of staying in the same B&B, but with other owners. Next trip is planned for end of April 2008, after a detour via Ardnamuchan peninsula. I could not give only one reason why I love Islay so much : it's a mix of the place, the friendly people that makes you feeling relaxed as soon as you land. Kind regards to all Jean-Marc

jeanmarcd

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 09 September 2007  

Hi Jean-Marc, thanks for the introduction and welcome to the wee Islay forum. You have something good coming up in April next year. Big Grin

It will be interesting for you to see if many things have changed on Islay since your first trip in 1989, almost 19 years ago. Was it already a lot different in 2000 on your last trip?

ron

By: jeanmarcd (offline)  Sunday, 09 September 2007  

Quote by: ron

Hi Jean-Marc, thanks for the introduction and welcome to the wee Islay forum. You have something good coming up in April next year. Big Grin It will be interesting for you to see if many things have changed on Islay since your first trip in 1989, almost 19 years ago. Was it already a lot different in 2000 on your last trip?

Not many things have changed, Bruichladdich distillery was working and Ardbeg was closed. Islay woolen mill already existed and Christine Logan was already working in Bowmore distillery. I'm not completely sure, but I think that only Bowmore had a visitor center at that time. In Caol Ila, we were very few visitors, so we could have a dram with the manager in his office overlooking Jura and the Sound of Islay. I have a great souvenir of my first visit to Bruichladdich, as it was made by one of the oldest workers of the distillery, who had plenty of tales about "early times". They had plenty of opportunities to have a dram during the day Wink Islay cheese was made in Bruichladdich, there were two kinds of cheese : orange and yellow, not very tasty (may be for my french taste buds).They had projects to make smoked cheese. It closed a short time after my visit in 2000. About transportation, there was a possibility to spend the night on tuesdays before the early sailing at Kennacraig on the boat (berths could be booked). This was theory, and we had to spend the night in our car on Kennacraig pier. There was already a visitors welcome evening. It was a good surprise to see that the minimarket in Bruichladdich still exists and improved. I think not many things have changed between 1989 and 2000, although I could have missed some attractions as Internet did not exist in 1989. There must be much more cratfs now (Persabus pottery, kilchoman farm..) than 20 years ago. As soon as I remember other things, I'll put them on the forum, it is a bit in disorder now. I wish there was a project to put some of the best archives of "The Ileach" in a book or on Internet, but I think that Brian Palmer (Hello Brian, if you read this !) has already plenty of work !!

jeanmarcd

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 09 September 2007  

Quote by: jeanmarcd

Quote by: ron

Hi Jean-Marc, thanks for the introduction and welcome to the wee Islay forum. You have something good coming up in April next year. Big Grin

It will be interesting for you to see if many things have changed on Islay since your first trip in 1989, almost 19 years ago. Was it already a lot different in 2000 on your last trip?

As soon as I remember other things, I'll put them on the forum, it is a bit in disorder now.

I wish there was a project to put some of the best archives of "The Ileach" in a book or on Internet, but I think that Brian Palmer (Hello Brian, if you read this !) has already plenty of work !!

Thanks for the explanation, really interesting reading material. I know the Islay Museum has an extensive library where they keep many, if not all, copies of the Ileach. You should try that sometime, it's so interesting to see what they were writing about back then and some of the stories are much the same as today, specially where they handle about the Islay Ferry Wink

I will pass on your message to brian, and you are right about the fact that he is really busy. If you want to know what his favorite past time is try the washingmachinepost which is updated almost daily and has cycling all over the place Big Grin

ron

By: mags (offline)  Tuesday, 11 September 2007  

Hello Jean-marc
It was great to read about your memories of Islay. I get the Ileach sent to me and just love to keep in touch. If you go to the Museum of Islay Life in Port Charlotte they keep lots of cuttings from newspapers including the Ileach. If you haven`t been it is well worth a visit and the staff are always so friendly and helpful.Mags

mags

118 posts :: Page 7 of 15