sponsored links

118 posts :: Page 6 of 15
By: TVAS (offline)  Tuesday, 14 August 2007  

Of course, as an American, I speak only one language and understand a little Spanish (due to my childhood in Florida) - sad - Oops!
later! ANN[/p]

Ann, you are lucky because with your language you can travel all over the world. There where you come you will always find some people who speakes English. Big Grin

BTW almost one month to go Wink

TVAS

By: gerardhorstman (offline)  Monday, 27 August 2007  

Was on Islay (Kintra beach) again 12-16 August.Too short. Confused
Besides the visits to the big Distilleries we also visited Kilchoman Distillery this year. At least did a tour which we missed last year.
For the rest went to Finlaggan, the Islay Whisky club (give Ruby, Ruby, Ruby my regards) and went in direction of Loch Uigeadail but the weather allowed us no further then Airigh Nam Beist.
But nice to have seen that although it has it attraction only from the bottle I have at home.

It was great to be back. We were even recognised by some people and we recognised some of the locals aswell. Feels a bit like coming home although it was only the 3rd time we were on Islay.
We will surely be back. Wink

Gerard

gerardhorstman

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 27 August 2007  

Hi Gerard, good to hear from you and also good to hear that you had a great time (again) and that you're thinking of returning to Islay. I take it you camped at Kintra? I am not a camping type myself and I always wonder how it's like to camp on Islay and did you check out the new campsite at Port Charlotte?

ron

By: gerardhorstman (offline)  Monday, 27 August 2007  

Kintra camping is always en experience. We lost our tent 2 year ago because of a heavy wind.
We had 1 very windy night this year but we and our tent survived. We were sort of prepared. For the rest Kintra is great. Nice people, tent on the Dune directly at the beach. Sunsets, campfire, dram, heaven.
I heard of the new camp site at Port Charlotte but we did see it. Would be nice to try next year. From Kintra we could see the light of Port Charlotte so we do it visa versa in 2008. because I'm not thinking of returning I WILL be back.

gerardhorstman

By: TVAS (offline)  Tuesday, 28 August 2007  

Gerard, the same feeling as I have!. Once to be there, you MUST be back again Exclaimation

TVAS

By: mags (offline)  Tuesday, 04 September 2007  

I first visited Islay about 10 years ago with an Australian friend, fell in love with the place and its people and have returned each year for my "fix." Since then have taken more Australians, Germans and many other friends. Always stay in Shore Street, Port Charlotte and feel as if I am going home.
This year I went over in March. It took us 3 days to get there - Sunday ferry cancelled, Monday and the ferry turned back within 15 minutes of landing (too windy!!!!!!) We arrived on the Tuesday and as usual was worth the effort. Anyone caught in same situation and needing B.B should try the Sinclairs, Corbiere, Achnabreac Nr. Lochgilphead. This is our regular staging post as it`s a long drive from Manchester.
Visited Islay again in June and had some of the best weather I`ve had this summer (not that that says much but we did see the sun and blue skies).
Why do I love the place? Where else can you walk empty beaches; see incredible wild life; meet such friendly people (how I love the raised index finger as one drives past other cars) I could go on and on.
Thank you Ron for setting up this weblog. I have been transported tonight. Not quite like the real thing but a good second best!!!!! And thanks to everybody else for your interesting comments. I also like whisky but Bruichladdich.
Mags

mags

By: ron (offline)  Wednesday, 05 September 2007  

Hi Margaret, (or mad mags Big Grin ) I'm glad you found your way to the weblog and my wee islay forum. Always good to see a new face and I wish you a warm welcome here between the other Islay enthusiasts. If you have any suggestions or questions you're at the right address. I suppose you have very good experiences with the B&B at Lochgilphead? I am actually looking for a b&b in the area for our (second) islay trip late september. Our favorite one (Rhu House in Tarbert) is closed in that period. Cry

ron

By: mags (offline)  Thursday, 06 September 2007  

Dear Ron
Thank you for your welcome.
The B.B. I mentioned is very good. I have stayed there 6 times this year. It is extremely clean and the breakfasts are excellent. Joan and Ronnie are very welcoming.
There are 2 rooms. One has 3 single beds and the bathroom is across the corridor and is sole occupancy. The other has a double (4 poster!!!!) bed and a singlebed and is en suite.
It`s easy to get to being about a mile from Lochgilphead, off the Oban road, up in the hills on the right.
Hope you have a good trip. If you go into Port charlotte Hotel please give Graham and his staff my best wishes. Also Mary in Bruichladdich distillery!!!!! Wish I was going!!
Mags

mags

118 posts :: Page 6 of 15