sponsored links

14 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Bruce (offline)  Monday, 26 November 2007  

I suppose it wasn't the most obvious route to Fort William, but then what was? At the end of the day all that matters is the railway was built across Rannoch Moor and its still in regular use!

You've been across the Connel Bridge haven't you Ron? Are you aware that was originally built as a railway bridge to carry a branch line off the Callander and Oban railway to Ballachulish? Perhaps continuing this north to Fort William would have made more sense, but... this line was built 14 years after the West Highland Line!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 26 November 2007  

That's an interesting fact about the Connel Bridge. I remember the first time I crossed it... when I saw it from a distance I was convinced that it actually was a railway bridge, but there was no rails! What I did miss at the time was Dunstaffnage Castle, it was only later that I saw pictures and realised we could have made a nice detour, but then again, there are so many beautiful things to see... I know what you are going to tell me now... I should spend less time on Islay and more on the mainland Wink

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Monday, 26 November 2007  

I wouldn't dream of telling you to spend less time on Islay... but I do think you need to spend more time on the mainland... how you work that out is up to you... but between the Borders, Wester Ross and your wee tour of the southern Highlands and northern Argyll earlier this year you don't need me to tell you what you're missing!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: mags (offline)  Monday, 24 November 2008  

I have just read about Rannoch Moor and the road. Would have liked to have posted a photo BUT am not sure I took my Box Brownie with me!!!!It was the fifties and my father used to take a group of us to Scotland each year. We stayed in Youth Hostels and cycled on some incredible narrow, weed infested roads but what holidays and what happy memories. Even climbed the Five Sisters of Kintail and am at present wondering how I ever did it. Feel really geriatric just writing about it. it!!!!!!!!!!

mags

By: ron (offline)  Monday, 24 November 2008  

Hi Mags, yes it's a special area... almost as special as Islay :-)

I thought you found the answer to the question, being the name of the glen where I took the picture from Wink

ron

By: mags (offline)  Tuesday, 25 November 2008  

No don`t know the nam of the Glen where photo taken. And you are right my no. 1 is still Islay! Mags

mags

14 posts :: Page 2 of 2