sponsored links

16 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: ron (offline)  Monday, 16 June 2008  

Hi Jurastalker, welcome to the forum Wink

I totally agree that Jura would be better off with a foot passenger ferry connecting directly to the mainland. In fact I heard early April that it was starting really soon and later I found out that the council put it out to tender. What I haven't heard is if they want an all year service or just for the summer season. Have you heard anything about that?

I'm always surprised that Jura doesn't have it's own ferry yet. If you take an island like Gigha, which has less people than Jura, but do have their own ferry connecting them to the mainland. When I visited Gigha last time there were lot's of daytrippers coming to the island! And what about Colonsay, they now have their own airport!!

I also think that tourism would increase once Jura has it's own ferry. I still think it's strange that people have to take two ferries to visit Jura. The costs to come to the island are very high.

I can't comment on Jura Stores though, I don't know their reasons for doing so. However, I do think they would also benefit from the new ferry don't they? Eek!

ron

By: jurastalker (offline)  Tuesday, 17 June 2008  

I believe the foot passenger ferry is for the short summer season only.

This is partly due to funding and the winter weather would severally restrict any ferry crossings across the sound of jura.

However I do think the council could extend the period of operation from early early spring to late autumn, also if the late and early crossings could be extended to other week days during busy periods with say a request service

This would be of great to Islay and Jura people traveling by public transport back and forth from the mainland
especially if the council got their act together with a integrated transport policy were ferries and bus connections all connected up but perhaps this might be to simple for the powers to be

With regards to a car ferry to Jura I am undecided about this issue

Partly because excess traffic would spoil the charm of Jura.
The single track roads on jura at present are unable able to cope with volumes traffic traveling in two directions
The extra burden on the Jura - Islay ferry would cause problems as well

I agree it is inappropriate and comment on Jurastores though I do think as well they would benefit considerably from the new ferry

Hopefully I shall be traveling back to Jura on the late ferry on Friday night to Jura for a few days
I will keep you updated

Thanks for welcoming me to the Islay weblog

Jura the stepping stone to Islay Wink

jurastalker

By: ron (offline)  Tuesday, 17 June 2008  

Quote by: jurastalker

I learned today that you are right about the short summer season. The Jura ferry operates from the 16th of June to the 29th of September. I can imagine they started late this year due to the tender and you're right when you say it could easily start earlier. Perhaps as early as the beginning of April.... Rolling Eyes

With regards to a car ferry to Jura I am undecided about this issue Partly because excess traffic would spoil the charm of Jura. The single track roads on jura at present are unable able to cope with volumes traffic traveling in two directions

What I noticed on the ferry to Gigha was that many people, including myself, left the car on the mainland. Not taking the car on the ferry is a lot cheaper and when there is a good bike hire and/or taxi/minibus service it's easier for people to visit the island without bringing their own car. Gigha however is a lot smaller than Jura of course.

Hopefully I shall be traveling back to Jura on the late ferry on Friday night to Jura for a few days. I will keep you updated. Thanks for welcoming me to the Islay weblog

Thanks for the update and enjoy the Jura trip Big Grin

ron

By: Bruce (offline)  Wednesday, 18 June 2008  

Jura the stepping stone to Islay Wink

Sounds good to me! Big Grin

Welcome from me too jurastalker!

Islay... the gateway to JURA!

Bruce

By: jurastalker (offline)  Tuesday, 22 July 2008  

Quote by: ron

I learned today that you are right about the short summer season. The Jura ferry operates from the 16th of June to the 29th of September. I can imagine they started late this year due to the tender and you're right when you say it could easily start earlier. Perhaps as early as the beginning of April.... Rolling Eyes

With regards to a car ferry to Jura I am undecided about this issue Partly because excess traffic would spoil the charm of Jura. The single track roads on jura at present are unable able to cope with volumes traffic traveling in two directions

What I noticed on the ferry to Gigha was that many people, including myself, left the car on the mainland. Not taking the car on the ferry is a lot cheaper and when there is a good bike hire and/or taxi/minibus service it's easier for people to visit the island without bringing their own car. Gigha however is a lot smaller than Jura of course.

Hopefully I shall be traveling back to Jura on the late ferry on Friday night to Jura for a few days. I will keep you updated. Thanks for welcoming me to the Islay weblog

Thanks for the update and enjoy the Jura trip Big Grin

Just got back to Jura last week for a few days after a rather unexpected trip over to the big apple in the states
wow it was a relef to get back to the normality and sanity of Jura and Islay

It was a real pleasure traveling by the Jura ferry I do hope this service can continue as it it a great service and asset to Jura and Islay
It would be great if argyll and bute could get their heads round a intergrated public transport policy for islay and jura

Also to say thanks for welcoming me into the islay blog its a realy nice site a lot of usefull info and well layed out
I must say its one of the better island bloging sites i have seen

anyway Id better go just packing for another globe troting trip back to the states tomorow hopefully it will be the last one of the year

Many thanks
Jura stalker

jurastalker

By: ron (offline)  Sunday, 27 July 2008  

It was a real pleasure traveling by the Jura ferry I do hope this service can continue as it it a great service and asset to Jura and Islay
It would be great if argyll and bute could get their heads round a intergrated public transport policy for islay and jura

Let's hope so... I've heard some very positive news about this ferry. It would be so good for Jura Big Grin

Also to say thanks for welcoming me into the islay blog its a realy nice site a lot of usefull info and well layed out
I must say its one of the better island bloging sites i have seen

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. Perhaps we can meet sometime in the future? Wink

ron

By: jurastalker (offline)  Friday, 17 July 2009  

Im pleased to say thats a end from my globe trotting for a little while I had to rush off to the states
rather urgantly and had to stay over longer than expected in the hell hole of New York after Newzealand
It was a bit of a shock.
Definataly need a much needed rest from New York no better place to come than to Jura

Its nice to be back on jura and Islay after a long absance I just arived today after many months away
I have noticed a many changes for the better also pleased to see the jura ferry is still running

I see Argyll and bute still havent changed their transport policy or made many improvements
towards a intergrated syistem but never mind
The way the price of fuel is going up we all be buying more shoe leather.

jurastalker

By: ron (offline)  Thursday, 23 July 2009  

Hi and welcome back after such a long time Big Grin

There have been some problems with the Jura ferry, it broke down several times and a month ago there was one day without any Islay to Jura ferry!

I'm curious though about the changes you noticed when you returned, mind sharing them with us? Wink

Thanks!
Ron

ron

16 posts :: Page 2 of 2