The blue and white minibus of Scottish Routes can often be seen on Islay's roads. They offer tailor-made and distinctive scheduled tours all over Scotland and one of their specialities is their whisky tour on Islay which has been enjoyed by many in recent years. That's why I thought it would be good to highlight Scottish Routes with their enthusiastic tour guides on the Islay Info website but not before I had met Will Stockham, managing director, in person a few weeks ago. We had a brief but most enjoyable conversation. Will is very passionate about his company and crazy about everything Islay and the Hebrides.
Will said: "Since 2009, when the team at Scottish Routes fell in love with Islay, we have been regular visitors with (and often without) our tour guests. We offer regular departure 4 day minibus tours from Edinburgh and Glasgow and these are mainly designed for the Islay whisky-lover, but also have enough variety for any not-so-whisky-focussed friends and families to join as well. Our tours offer a chance to explore the highlights of the island or those with a limited amount of time and who do not want to drive themselvesâ€¦ a good thing after an Islay whisky tasting."
Due to their excellent reputation and high quality tours they have received a good amount of repeat business and word of mouth bookings and as far as Islay is concerned, here is what they have done over the last few years:
- Arranged a whisky themed wedding for guests who returned for a private tour after taking the 4 day group trip
- Had a couple from Canada take the regular Islay tour 3 times since 2011.
- Helped some private tour guests celebrate their wedding anniversary at Laphroaig.
- Shown over 1500 guests around Islay.
- Taken the members of the SMWS (Australian Branch) around Islay as part of their 10 day tour of Scotlandâ€¦ and they are coming back this year for another go.
- Hosted whisky tastings on the beach.
- Enjoyed every minute spent exploring this stunning part of the world!
If you want to do an Islay Whisky Tour yourself and want to read more about what they offer their guests please visit the Scottish Routes page on Islay Info