Friday, May 09 2014
A new initiative from the Rhinns of Islay has been started to attract more visitors to this side of the island. The villages of Portnahaven and Port Wemyss and the surrounding area is one of the prettiest parts of Islay and has a lot to offer. A two page leaflet has been printed to attract attention for some of the things to see and do. Perhaps due to tight schedules some people skip this part of Islay so hopefully the colourful brochure and presentation of the attractions below can change all that. So who are the participants for the Destination Portnahaven initiative?
- Tea by the Sea At Burnside Lodge B&B, just off the Coastal Path Port Wemyss. Tea Coffee & Home made Cake Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday 10.30 - 4.30 April to September. A few seats inside, outside or takeaway.
- Tormisdale Croft Craft On the West Road between Portnahaven & Port Charlotte Award winning Craft Shop est. 1986 Handmade Crafts using natural & recycled materials wherever possible, Handspun Wool & Knitwear, Sticks, Staghornwork, Buttons etc, Woodturning, Tweed Clothing, Paintings, Jewellery, Patchwork, Knitting Yarns & Books, Spinning equipment. Open 10 - 5.30 Mon-¬≠Sat
- Islay Celtic Craft Shop 1 mile up from Portnahaven. We have moved from Bowmore to Portnahaven. Paintings, Painted Slates & Stones, Driftwood and Antler Products, Wide Selection of Celtic & Gothic designed leather items such as Belts, broad bracelets, bookmarks etc, silver jewellery & other items Continue reading.....
- An Tigh Seinnse Portnahaven. An Tigh Seinnse is a small friendly village pub situated in Portnahaven: you'll find us at the bottom of the hill on the right hand side of the bay. Bar open every day from 12 noon.
- Portnahaven Stores & Newsagent. Open 9-6.30 Mon to Sat. 10.30 to 6pm Sundays. Off licence, no fee ATM, Foreign Currency, Newspapers & Magazines, DVD's, Bread, Milk & a wide range of groceries. National Lottery, Ice cream, Sandwiches & Coffee to go
- An Gleann Tablet, a taste of Islay. Gournet hand-made butter and whisky tablet. Open Mon to Sat 10am to 5pm April to December. You can find An Gleann between Portnahaven and Port Charlotte near Nerabus.
The above should already be more than enough reason to include this beautiful part of Islay in your itinerary. The full PDF can be downloaded here, please allow some time for the download. The paper leaflet is available in various places on the island, keep an eye out for it!